Summer Dance Classes
[Done for the season. Check back in April 2018.]
Each Thursday and Saturday starting June 1st, 2017 through August 28th. Everyone is welcome!
Malachi Independent Summer Dance Classes are not only fun, but also are a great way to stay in shape and to refine your skills. Classes are open to the public and will be led by Lynn Graham (Lynn’s Bio). Lynn will cover a variety of styles and technique to give students a broad range of dance experience. You will become a stronger dancer while you also learn how to pick up combinations more quickly and grow as a performer.
Beginner to Advanced, there will be something for everyone ages 12 and up! Attend any or all sessions as each week is a different style. We hope you will do most or all sessions, but you can skip weeks or start mid-summer without worries. Classes may be geared towards guard members but all dancers are welcome. This is a safe, all inclusive environment. Everyone will be welcome no matter their experience level.
Beginner to Intermediate dancers should attend our Thursday sessions from 6:30pm to 9pm at Pomona HS - MAP.
Intermediate to Advanced dancers should attend our Saturday sessions. 12:30 to 2:30 pm at Destination Dance – MAP. Destination Dance 4550 Wadsworth Blvd, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033. See description below. IMPORTANT: A waiver form is required for this class and requires parental signature for minors. Malachi-DestDance Waiver.
- Start at anytime, but obviously sooner is better. Need to miss a class – that’s ok.
- $10 per drop-in session. ($15-$20 is considered a typical dance class rate so this is “A DEAL”)
- $3 per class discount if you buy a 10 Class Pack for $70.
- Use the online payment option (at bottom of this page) for either one class or a book of 10 classes.
- No food or drinks (except water) in the building. Please leave these things in your car. You may have water with you on the studio floor.
- No shoes on the studio floor. You must wear socks, slippers, dance paws, or go barefoot.
- Bring a towel or Theraband for conditioning (some are available to borrow, first come first serve)
- Please wear tight fitting clothing and dress in appropriate layers as temperatures may fluctuate (sweats may be worn for warm up, but will need to be removed for the remainder of class.
- When at a shared studio keep voices and noise level down.
- Hair must be securely up and out of the face.
- Keep the facility clean!
- Knee pads are recommended for floor work.
- Anyone considering auditioning for winterguard in the fall should read the Audition Hints below.
- Due to space limitations and for your personal growth - the instructor may recommend that you attend only one class per week on the day best suited to your abilities. Contact Spin@MalachiWinterguard.org if you have any concerns about which class to attend.
Thursday Class: The Thursday dance class will be geared for the Beginner to Intermediate dancer but can also be a great refresher for the more the advanced student. We will be reviewing basics in ballet, jazz, and contemporary technique as well as improvisation and choreography. Training will focus on correct technique for injury prevention, conditioning, flexibility, and help students continue to grow as dynamic performers. Location: Pomona High School. 6:30 PM: Check-in and warmups. 7-9 PM: Class. Hint: Park in south east lot near tennis courts and enter the building at the commons.
Saturday Class: The Saturday dance class will be for dancers at the Intermediate/Advanced level. Dance styles will include ballet, jazz, modern, contemporary, and improvisation. In addition to technique training, students will learn progressive combinations, more advanced choreography, and leaps/turns/tricks. Location: Destination Dance 4550 Wadsworth Blvd, Wheat Ridge, CO 80033. Noon: Check-in and warm-ups. 12:30-2:30 PM: Class. IMPORTANT: All participants to this class must fill out this signed waiver and turn it in. Malachi-DestDance Waiver. Minors require a parental signature.
Audition Hints: If you are planning to audition for Malachi Independent Winterguard (or any other guard for that matter) for the 2018 season it is strongly encouraged that you attend these dance classes and our Spin Camps. Skills learned will translate into our audition process and help you best prepare for the upcoming season.
Registration – Actually no.
Pre-registration is not necessary, but you may pay for one class or a book of ten using PayPal.